TERGULING

Have you ever felt that "something wrong is going to happen, soon ..." Well, it was certainly one of the things that tingling in my head yesterday. It was actually one of those days. I was busy right from the beginning of the day, teaching in the morning and in the afternoon (and blast .. the electricity down .. so I have to cut 1/2 hour of student's presentation ... so typical of PLN), sandwiches between them a department's meeting and a line of students waiting to discuss their projects ... so... in the end you just want to go home on schedule, relax with a cup of hot tea, chats with the children and have a good night sleep.

Dark lining already dotted the clouds, so I know for sure that fiery rain will soon come. Fortunately, the university's bus is not really full so I can get a decent seat in front near the driver. Soon, however, thunders crashed and wind howled so fiery ... I was really reluctant to get off from the bus. Still, I get off in front of Jl. Pajajaran, braving the rain with my umbrella which alas did not help me much. It was a short walk from the bus stop to my house, but I was fully drenched when I arrived home. The umbrella did not offer any protection from the wind blast rain, plus gifts from cars speeding in the heavily flooded street. My two children completely hibernating in their room, so I decided to go straight for a hot shower.

Just when I thought it was a good time to unwind, my cell phone rang. It was a miss call from one of my uni's student, Bobi. Yesterday morning he drove 4 of my research team up to Bodogol research stations to do our annual amphibian monitoring survey. Bobi took my Hiline car up to the station. The road to Bodogol from Lido is known for its treacherous terrains, especially during this rainy season. It was actually more accessible using 4WD, which I had in mind to let him using our LR previously. However, my husband thought that the other jeep will be good enough. Well ...seems he was wrong.

Straight away I called Bobi back. The reception was very bad, and I was sure that I heard a frightened note in his voice. Hesitantly he told me that the car was stuck in the mud, and inclined to one side. He was OK, but he was alone, having left the others in the research station and could not reach them in his cell phone. As I recall there was a very steep gorge in one part of the road, so I made sure that he was not down in that gorge.

So there began the frantic night to reach somebody to help him. First I contact my husband to go back home and go to Bodogol with the LR. Then I contact Fitri, my other assistant at her home to contact other available students to go to Bodogol with my husband and assist Bobi. Next, I tried to contact the others in the research station, but the reception was so unreliable so in the end I just sms them hoping that they can read it.

Problems arrived when my husband realized that all of his static rope that he usually use for rock climbing is actually in Jakarta, somebody borrowed it for training. So we lost some precious time to go to Bodogol because we have to find (and in the end bought) rope. One good thing, my sms actually reach its target so the others then walked down from the station and help Bobi. It was nearly 7.30 pm when the rescue party actually went off. In about 20 minutes they were back. Apparently Inggar (one of team) called back. The car is already OK.6 people -including national park officers - hoisted the car to turn it to its designated course and Bobi is already on his way back. 10.45 pm: Bobi arrived safely in my home. A bit tired (and shocked I guess because the car has a bit of dent on the right side), very ..very dirty but in good health. Thanks GOD!


It was nearly midnight when I managed to get some sleep. Something bad really happen but we survived (oh, I forgot to mention that in the mists of Bobi's ordeal I got 3 other sms from my sister informing the CT SCAN result that my brother in-law has a stage 3 malicious intestine tumor and need to be operated asap. He just got laid from his job a month ago). Alhamdulillah ......

Inggar took several pictures, it does look bad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jurnal Liburan Sumatera Barat Akhir Tahun 2011: Istana Pagaruyung

Jurnal Liburan Sumatera Barat Akhir Tahun 2011: Paradiso Village Cubadak Resort

PULANG: Untuk para anak di rantau