AFTER NEARLY 2 YEARS

Being a big Land Rover’s fan, one of the first things that Nano did upon our arrival in Bogor is to hunt for one. Less than 3 months since we arrived, we got a green 1983’s Land Rover. Yes, it is a monstrous thing but it did come handy if I need to go to some inaccessible place to do my survey. Unfortunately, last year the petrol prices soar to almost double. Since the LR loves to drink a lot of petrol, we bought (actually I insist) another car for everyday use. This time a Daihatsu TAFT Hiline, which is more efficient but Nano grumble that “ … it is not too powerful as the LR”. We still have the LR but use it rarely. Nowadays, half of Nano’s energy goes to farming. We rent a land near our place. Previously he had hundreds of home range chicken, but after the chicken got stolen little by little (it started with 5 chickens, and several weeks later 20 missing) he decided to sold almost all to the market during last Idul Fitri. He still got several chicken though, plus 4 fishponds. So I still get free eggs almost every day.

Benz is now in 10th grade, height 170 cm, plays guitar and takes up piano again, hates physics (including physical education …!) and loves baking. The last is very handy because whenever we want to eat cakes, bread or cookies and I am too lazy to bake one …. he will make it for us. His biggest achievement this year is able to buy his own Mobile phone (a Sony Erickson Walkman, no less … his mobile phone is more advance than his parents’) from his own pocket. Not only had he managed to save his pocket money but also for almost a week during the end of Ramadan slaving away making almost 10kg of cookies and sell it.

Adinda is now in 5th grade, not too interested with Balinese dancing anymore and switch to Taekwondo instead. She also plays football at school. The only Australian thing that she still does is playing Violin. She did not use the ¼ violin anymore; she uses ¾ now and soon will use the 4/4. We lent the ¼ violin that we got from Emma Ridd to a friend’s daughter in Jakarta. She performs at least three-four times a year, doing solo or in group. Last June with a group of music students she performed violin in Ancol (a theme park at Jakarta – a bit like Movie World) and she was so surprised and happy when she got a (first) payment of 150 thousand rupiah (almost AUD 25).

Every time a friend remarked about my bigger waistline, at first I always blame the food we ate in Australia. Unfortunately, I did not lose it. Instead I steadily gain more weight ... horror! Not only that, I found that I am not really fit which is very annoying especially when I had to go to the field. I decided to get better and started swimming whenever I got time. So my biggest achievement this year is able to do 15 laps (5 laps non stop and 1 minute of rest in between) breast stroke a couple of days ago. It's probably not a big thing for others, but considering that the first time I took up swimming .... it was really hard to finish just 1 lap. Other than that, my life revolves mostly with the family and my students at uni.

To all our friends, we wish you a Merry Christmas 2006, a Happy New Year 2007 and a Safe Holiday!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Jurnal Liburan Sumatera Barat Akhir Tahun 2011: Istana Pagaruyung

Jurnal Liburan Sumatera Barat Akhir Tahun 2011: Paradiso Village Cubadak Resort

PULANG: Untuk para anak di rantau